Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Far, Far Away



I'll start off by saying I wish I had a camera. I should also mention that I wish I didn't have to buy my sister a camera because I lost hers. I could then write about how I have no money in my bank account and bills are due, but I am not writing today to complain. Not at all.

I just got back home from being gone for eleven days. In order to make some quick cash I agreed to driving to North Dakota and Wisconsin to help deliver mattresses for a small country based out of Southern California. My delivery trip looked something like this:

Day 1: Orange County to Las Vegas, NV: 255 miles
Day 2: Las Vegas to Idaho Falls, ID: 664 miles
Day 3: Idaho Falls to Dickinson, ND: 680 miles
Day 4: Dickinson to Kenmare, ND: 239 miles, 4 deliveries
Day 5: Kenmare to Minot, ND: 225 miles, 5 deliveries
Day 6: Minot to Bismarck, ND: 215 miles, 7 deliveries
Day 7: Bismarck to Menominee, MI: 733 miles
Day 8: Menominee to Green Bay, WI: 57 miles, 1 delivery

We were supposed to take one truck and have two drivers to split the driving time. But there were too many deliveries that were needed so we had no choice but to take two trucks. Of course I found this out on the day we were supposed to leave. I wasn't expecting to drive 3,000 miles in 8 days, but let me tell you, along with the deliveries it came out to be very exhausting.

The fun part though, was traveling to states I had never been to before and meeting many very good-natured and amicable people. Starting in California, I went to Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

The people were truly friendly, as I mentioned, and it made me smile knowing that at whatever house we'd be delivering to there would be a smile to greet us. And this was the case. Sure, there was an instance where I customer became quite irate with the other person I was working with, but that's another story in itself. And it could have been easily avoided.

All in all, I'm very glad I was able to go on such a trip, even if I haven't spent a day lately without wondering why in the world I feel exhausted before noon.

I still wish I had a camera.

Can you hear the bells are ringing...can you hear the voices singing...I know that one day soon a song shall rise. You'll hear it with the sleep still in your eyes.

1 comment: