Sunday, December 20, 2009

It Was Beautiful


Everyone seems to be flying home for the holidays. Soldiers on leave, dads getting back from business trips, students done with college for the semester; families returning to one another. There is a sense of joy and excitement in the air. An aura of love and good tidings to all.

For myself though, things are different. I am flying away from my family as we speak. Lost somewhere above Arizona or New Mexico at 39000 feet. I do not know what I will be doing this Christmas day. Usually I am at home with my family opening presents, eating food, and resting. Not this year. Maybe I'll be working. Maybe I'll be watching another family celebrate the joy of Christmas together.

The choice was my own. My work said I could have the time off. They said I could take this week and be away its entirety. They gave me an awkward look when I told them I'd rather it be the week before. Most people did. Most people were dumbfounded when they heard I wasn't going to be home on Christmas day. I thought it wouldn't make a difference. I thought I'd be fine. I don't think that's going to be the case.

Yet I wouldn't change my decision for the world. If I were asked to choose again I would do the exact same thing. I wouldn't even think twice about it. I wouldn't change one single minute, not even one single second.

It was too beautiful.

Pictures looking back, just snapshots of the past cannot compare to feeling what we felt, through anything that came that You were there.

3 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you... Find a beautiful spot and spend the day with some tasty food, beverage, and something good to read. Or sleep all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you where here that week b/c then we would not have gotten to spend any time with you. And we did!!!

    ReplyDelete